POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Normal Animated Water? : Re: Normal Animated Water? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:21:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Normal Animated Water?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 5 Mar 2000 09:17:12
Message: <chrishuff_99-97F6DD.09185105032000@news.povray.org>
In article <38c2410f@news.povray.org>, "Equiprawn" <equ### [at] tinetie>
wrote:

> However, I had always thought that the way you got a ripling water
> effect was to cycle the phase modifier for the normal from 0 to 1.
> But when I did this (in  Moray) using a bozo normal, my pattern
> stayed fixed, and this kind of hard line just moved about the
> texture. What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to get
> animeted rippling water using normals?

Have you tried other patterns? Maybe you should try using ripples or
waves, or maybe wrinkles. Also, you can use a phase higher than 1 to get
more cycles.

> And just a quick aside question, bould it be possible to use my final
> animated normal as input to a isosurface sphere to get rippling geometry?

No...but you can use the same pattern in a pigment as part of an
isosurface function. This is untested, but should get you started:
#declare WaveFunc =
function {
    pigment {wrinkles phase clock*3
        color_map {
            [0 color Black]
            [1 color White]
        }
    }
}
#declare WaveDepth = 0.3;

isosurface {
    function {sqrt(sqr(x) + sqr(y) + sqr(z)) - 1
        - (WaveFunc(x, y, z)*WaveDepth)
    }
}

--